Ronald Poppo is the 65 year old homeless victim of Rudy Eugene's savage and seemingly random attack under a Miami bridge last weekend.
Little is known of Poppo. At 65, he’s been homeless for almost four decades. Poppo had been shot once and arrested two dozen times, and now he is fighting for his life at Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center.
Perhaps he knew Eugene, or was possibly just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Either way, he was dragged from his shady area under the bridge and stripped, punched, pounded and shredded for 18 horrific minutes whilst cyclists and motorists passed. Frantic calls were made to police, who responded and shot Eugene dead after several bullets failed to stop his frenzied assault
“Rudy was not a face-eating zombie monster,” said his high school friend Victoria Forte. “The Rudy we know was a nice gentleman with a warm smile, and funny.”
.“He wasn't homeless. He had a place to stay. He had a car, and he worked,” said Erica Smith, a close friend and former roommate of Eugene’s. “He had his ups and downs, but he was not an aggressive person. He was really sweet and giving.”
Surprisingly, the Advanced Center for mortosis Disease and Control has removed the quarantine facility they set up on monday. Necro-mortosis hazmat teams were seen leaving the area today. Many speculate that the recall may be to swage public fear of a new undead outbreak. "It may be better to not show such an operation right now" ZWN's 'Lifeline' editor Dr. Nancy Chan said today. "After the Miami undead outbreaks of 2007 (see right side column) residents are very sensitive to any potential zombie threat. If the authorities can investigate subtly then that's just what they should do. Not be setting up huge quarantine tents. People fear and dread those thing for good reason."